Barbecuing is a summer tradition that brings people together for delicious food, good conversation and unforgettable memories. However, one of the most essential tools for any successful barbecue is a reliable lighter. In this blog post, we will be exploring the different types of BBQ lighters available on the market, their pros and cons and how to choose the right one for your needs.
What is a BBQ lighter? Why do you need a lighter for BBQ?
When your grill refuses to ignite, it’s the worst possible situation. Unless, of course, you have to bury a match to light your grill. When you need to get your grill going the most, the electrical ignition refuses to turn on or the wind is too strong to strike a match in the charcoal grill. You’ll want a more effective method at your disposal when these times come. If you’re the type of grill master who likes to always be prepared, then you should always have a BBQ lighter on hand.
The best part about BBQ lighters is how useful they are in other situations as well. BBQ lighters are fantastic for lighting your gas or charcoal grill, but buying a few extra will also allow you to easily light your camp stove or a campfire when you’re out in the wilderness. They can be used to create a fire in your garden pit or to light candles. They are an extremely practical and adaptable resource.
Our tables show the many lighter kinds, which actually include distinct lighter designs.
However, there are three primary ways that lighters work, and these are the ones we’re focusing on here:
These are essentially the fuel sources lighters use to ignite a flame for you.
Most people use butane lighters, which are also arguably the most adaptable. They are frequently inexpensive and simple to operate. Even when it is windy outside, they frequently function effectively. Refillable butane lighters are sometimes available, which is an additional perk.
Electrical current is used in arc lighters to create a spark. They don’t have the butane smell that some people really dislike, and they are low voltage. When working in a small area, arc lighters are particularly helpful. They tend to cost a little bit more, but they are incredibly safe.
Finally, the safest choice is flameless lighters. There is no open flame in any way; instead, they work with a heating element that, when necessary, will ignite your object and start a fire or flame for you.
These are normal for gas barbecues, however you also frequently do not require a lighter for a gas grill.
Simple to Use
The simplicity of using the particular lighter is a crucial factor to take into account. Does it ignite easily? Is it difficult to start? Should you be concerned about charging it? All of these factors should be kept in mind.
In light of this, most lighters are straightforward to light, though this is not always the case. You need something trustworthy and easy.
It’s important to keep in mind that butane lighters typically run out of fuel more rapidly than other types of lighters, so you may want to have backups or refill choices.
Refillable or Rechargeable
We think this is a great idea if you care about the environment and don’t want to keep tossing away discarded lighters. Keep an eye out for refillable butane lighters. The initial investment is higher, but you can reuse the cans by purchasing butane and refilling them when they run out.
A flameless or arc lighter with a rechargeable battery is a great investment. This saves you money because you won’t have to buy batteries, and it’s better for the environment, too.
Size and Weight
This is essential to think about before packing your BBQ lighter on a trip. You generally don’t want a big heavy lighter if you plan on using it while camping, picnicking, or tailgating. There are wonderful compact alternatives to chimney starters that will work to get your grill fire started without much effort.
Also, think about how far you need to hold the lighter to light something. You can avoid having to take out the grates of your grill by purchasing a lighter with a longer wand. When lighting a campfire, this can be useful for igniting the kindling and stacked wood beneath it.
This is a very serious matter with butane lighters. Think about the tank size of the butane lighters in your shortlist if you don’t want to have to keep stopping to refuel the BBQ lighter every few minutes. Keep in mind that higher BTU lighters will use more gas than lower BTU choices, so even if you choose a larger capacity tank, you’ll go through gas quicker if you’re using it frequently and it’s a high BTU lighter.
Whether or whether a BBQ lighter’s extra features are worth the price to you depends on a number of factors, the most important of which is how much money you’re willing to spend. Many exciting extras are available, but the price might rise rapidly. Look for specialized features like additional colors, designs, LED lights and indicators, and secure grips and handles.
17 Best BBQ Lighters: Don’t waste time on traditional ignition
Best For Gifting: BIC Multi-purpose Classic Edition Lighters
Let’s begin with one of the most typical and well-liked solutions. These butane lighters have been a staple in numerous families for a very long time.
It is a flexible solution that includes a number of safety measures and is also quite simple to use.
This container is disposable, but if you like the Bic brand there are some refillable variants available. These butane lighters have been thoroughly examined for safety. They are simple to light and use and have a great lifespan.
The wand is sturdy and long, giving you plenty of length. Even better, you can use the tiny hook on these for storage. The handles have colorful designs. These lighters’ fuel cartridges are produced in the United States.
- American-made fuel cartridges
- colorful handles
- Longer lighter lengths for safety
- putting safety measures in place
- dependable and durable
- The trigger may require significant force to activate
- The flame height cannot be altered.
Best Multipurpose: Zippo Flex Neck Utility Lighter
If you are searching for the top refillable lighter, the Zippo Flex Neck Utility Lighter is a must-try option! Its flexible neck design makes it not only easy to use, but versatile as well, making it a valuable choice for lighting campfires, water heater pilots, lanterns, and BBQ grills. Furthermore, it is a butane-refillable BBQ lighter, making it ideal for any outdoor excursion.
- Wind-resistant dual-flame technology
- Adjustable flame dial to regulate the flame
- Sturdy metal construction
- Flexible neck for ease of use
- Built-in child-resistant safety button
- Large loop for hanging
- Available in three different colors
- No means of checking the fuel level or remaining fuel
- Need to hold the ignition button for a few seconds
Best Eco-Friendly: Hifan Rechargeable Electric Arc Lighter
The HiFan Rechargeable Electric Arc Lighter is a standout product, thanks to its innovative technology and features. With a built-in USB charging port that can be used with power banks and laptops, you’ll never have to worry about a dead battery. Ideal for outdoor activities like camping and hiking, its flexible neck design also makes it safe for lighting fireworks and indoor usage. Whether it’s for lighting candles on special occasions or starting a fire, this electric arc lighter is sure to impress.
- Resistant to leaks, cracks, and has a neck that can bend 360 degrees
- Rechargeable with a Li-ion battery
- Can be recharged up to 800 times, providing 500 uses on a full charge
- Does not require butane or oil
- Wind-proof and uses flameless plasma technology, ideal for bad weather conditions
- LED light display with automatic power off after full charge
- Child-resistant with auto-stop after 7 seconds
- Auto-shutdown after 10 seconds of inactivity to prevent overheating
- Battery may not have a long life span with a single charge
- Difficult to align with the wick
Best Auto Shut-Off: Lytown Rechargeable Lighter
Lytown’s electric lighter is engineered for added safety. It will turn off automatically ten seconds after being ignited, but can be easily restarted with a switch. It is designed with a lengthy, ergonomic shape for ease of use. Suitable for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, candle lighting, cooking, fireplace lighting, and barbecuing, this electric lighter uses a premium lithium-ion cell that can provide thousands of lights. Additionally, it is equipped with protection against short circuits, overloads, and overheating to ensure total safety.
- Resistant to wind and water splashes
- Protected against moisture
- Can be recharged with a USB cord
- Has a bottom LED indicator light
- Child safety switch included
- Environmentally friendly and long-lasting
- May be larger than anticipated
- Could make a loud, high-pitched noise during use.”
Best Extendable: Foxfirers Butane Lighter
Don’t let lighting the barbeque coals take away from enjoying your steak dinner. The Foxfirers Butane Lighter is one of the top blow torches with powerful flames to quickly ignite charcoal, fireplaces, or gas stoves. Its long, extendable neck allows for hands-free use, making grilling your steak a faster process with this open flame lighter in your kitchen.
- Distinctive neck design that can bend 360 degrees
- Valve to regulate the size of the flame torch
- Capacity to be refilled with up to 5ml of fuel
- Can be used between 500-1000 times with a low setting
- Can reach its highest temperature for up to 60 seconds
- Managing the flame may be challenging
- Flame may not stay lit for more than a few seconds”
Best Refillable: Handi Flame Refillable Lighter for Kitchen
This is a wonderful alternative if you prefer the typical butane lighter’s straightforward design but want something that can be refilled. Additionally, it comes in a bulk container, giving you an abundance of lighters to meet all of your needs.
Because they are multipurpose lighters, you can use them for anything, even grill lighting. They are fantastic for camping and other uses. The wands are made to be sturdy and are good and lengthy, so you can rely on them to last.
Since the flames stay a long time, you have plenty of time to start lighting items before they go out. These are fully compliant with DOT requirements and may be totally refilled with the appropriate cartridges. You will need to buy the butane to fill them at first since this is just the wands.
- Refillable so you won’t have to continually throwing out and buying new wands
- Long wands that add further security
- Use it for a variety of things depending on what you require.
- conforms to all DOT regulations
- You can see in the fuel supply window when you need to refuel.
- Butane fuel is not included with the lighters; it is sold separately.
- All might not endure over time.
Best Odorless: Leejie Electric Arc Lighter
Make your special occasions even more memorable with the sleek and advanced technology of the Leejie Electric Arc Lighter! This environmentally friendly grill lighter provides impressive sparks without emitting flames or odors. It’s a top choice for birthday or barbeque parties, thanks to its triple-safe protection features. The LED light also makes it easy to use in the dark by indicating the power button.
- Child-safe with a built-in safety lock
- Slips onto the ignition tip and has an automatic stop after 7 seconds
- Rechargeable with a high-quality lithium-ion battery
- Uses flameless arc beam technology
- Resistant to wind, moisture, and splashes
- Portable and suitable for travel
- Easy to use both indoors and outdoors
- Convenient USB charging port
- Can be charged with power banks and laptops
- Ideal for lighting candles, grills, lanterns, fire pits, and more.
- May produce a bit of noise
- No adjustable control for flame intensity.
Best Sturdy: Zoocura Refillable Butane Torch Lighter
Zoocura’s refillable butane torch lighter is built to last with its heavy-duty construction made of durable zinc alloy that undergoes 20 quality inspections. Despite its pocket-sized and portable design, it can produce a strong double flame reaching a temperature of 2100F / 1150C.
- The refillable lighter has a gas capacity of 1.8g
- A visible fuel window to keep track of the butane level
- Durably constructed with a simple refill design
- Protected against leaks with three layers of safety features
- Suitable for lighting gas stoves, candles, grills, and more
- Adjustment of flame height and size is straightforward
- May have difficulty producing a flame at low settings
- High fuel consumption.
Best For Camping: RONXS Plasma Arc Ligher
Do you have a grill that needs to be lit in a cramped area or possibly at an inconvenient angle? Perhaps it feels like getting there and lighting that place is never simple.
An excellent answer in this case might be an arc lighter. Arc lighters have an arc, making it simple to move them to the desired location.
This straightforward answer is a dependable option that receives excellent marks from everyone. Although it isn’t particularly long, the lighter’s long, flexible neck allows you to spin or angle it however you need to. This specific variant runs on batteries and charges through USB.
It is a strong, secure gadget that doesn’t make use of a genuine flame. It is available in a variety of exciting color combinations. You can see the battery life and whether the handle is turned on thanks to the LED display on it.
- You can enter narrow spaces because to the arc design.
- The neck is lengthened and elastic.
- is quite safe because it has no flame.
- use a US to charge
- The LED display is quite simple to maintain.
- There are no additional safeguards or safety restrictions.
Best Easy-To-Charge: AuaitTech Electric Arc Lighter
The AuaitTech Electric Arc Lighter is a convenient and versatile lighter with a 360-degree rotating hose for easy use. It operates without chemicals through plasma technology and can be charged with a universal charging port, making it compatible with a computer, car charger, or power bank. Additionally, the lighter is equipped with safety features including overload protection, a double-safety switch, and an auto power-off function after six seconds.
- Has an advanced smart chip technology
- Operates without the use of butane
- Ideal for outdoor use
- Has a charging capacity indicator to show the battery level
- Comes with a 12-month warranty for customer satisfaction
- May take longer to light candle wicks
- May need frequent charging to maintain its power.
Scripto Aim‘n Flamell Extra Long Utility Lighter
Another versatile butane lighter is presented here, but this one has a particularly lengthy wand. These can be quite helpful for you if you’re working with gas or lighter fluid or if you just need to light a small area inside your grill.
This company is a well-known American manufacturer of utility lighters, and consumers greatly regard and trust them.
These extra-long lighters work well for grills of all kinds, campfires, and fireplaces. They use butane heat to function, making them more of a multipurpose lighter than a standard utility lighter.
This is a straightforward choice, but the 7-inch wand gives you better overall security and safety when you need a little more length.
- Wand is 7 inches long for extra-long length.
- Easy to understand and light
- versatile for a variety of uses
- inexpensive butane lighter
- Neon green handle that is amusing
- Can be challenging to operate, and it doesn’t always ignite a powerful flame.
Power Practical Candle Lighter
With this selection, you get a flameless lighter in addition to the extra-long lighter. It can be used to light candles, grills, or virtually any other type of lighting requirement. This particular lighter is electric and rechargeable via a USB connector.
It is exceedingly safe, easy to use, and highly efficient. This is a fantastic substitute if you don’t want to play about with a real flame or butane. Utilizing plasma technology, this lighter. You can rely on its flame because it is sure and consistent.
If you like a little diversity in your life, the Power Practical lighter is available in a range of colors. This lighter is simple to use, safe, and efficient. You don’t have to worry about charging it every day or anything like that because it charges rapidly and one charge lasts for several usage.
- extended wand
- Electric lighter with rechargeable batteries
- consists of security features for turning on
- No flame, but a dependable and strong light
- An angled head makes it simpler to place the light where you need it.
- Since the lid cover isn’t actually attached, it is simple to remove.
- It can be annoying at times because the safety procedure for turning on and off involves the same activity.
Hocety Butane Torch Lighter
Check out this choice if you like the style of the arch lighters but would rather have a butane or actual flame.
It is a jet flame butane lighter and it performs incredibly well. It has a straightforward, comfortable handle, and the neck may be adjusted to your needs.
The butane in this lighter may be refilled as needed and it comes in a variety of colors. It is a high-quality, long-lasting lighter that lights quickly and readily when you really need it to. Even the fuel can be changed so that the flame is the desired size or length.
- An arc-head butane lighter
- a long neck that can bend to meet your needs
- The flame’s fuel can be adjusted.
- If lighting your BBQ takes too long, you might need to re-spark it because the flame doesn’t usually stay for very long.
Skyflame Electric Charcoal Fire Starter and Lighter
It’s likely that you’ve heard folks gush about their lighter firearms. They are, let’s face it, quite cool!
They might occasionally be difficult to locate, but we discovered this fantastic, highly-rated choice. It is slightly more expensive than a standard lighter.
The electric pistol works well with grills that look like eggs, but it may also be used with pellets, charcoal grills, smokers, and other cooking devices. It is constructed with a heat barrier made of aluminum that shields the user from an open flame while yet producing enough heat to start a decent light.
- overall heats more quickly for stuff like pellets, charcoal, and wood
- an expedient and reliable lighting solution
- shielded by a thick layer of metal
- You will need to be able to plug it in close to the BBQ grill or smoker because the cord is not very lengthy. Perhaps ideal for indoor barbecues (Korean BBQ style).
Jobon Candle Electric Arc Lighter
This arc utility lighter is incredibly simple and secure to use. It may function flawlessly on a grill despite being intended for straightforward candle lighting.
Since it is a shorter lighter, it might not be able to reach those far-off or challenging locations.
This battery-powered lighter is equipped with a safety switch and all other necessary security features.
It even features protective components to stop overcharging and short circuiting. It does not readily overheat. When you merely want something basic, it’s a useful tool.
- There are safety switches.
- Simple and powerful
- safeguarded against short circuits
- Not a long time.
Elite Brands USA Long Lighters
Another long butane lighter is available as the following choice. It is a well-liked multi-purpose solution that will easily meet your illumination needs.
These lighters use butane and can be refilled, so if you like them, you can keep using them.
These straightforward lighters come with controllable safety controls. They store a lot of gasoline, extending the overall fuel life. They do arrive with butane already inside, so you don’t need to buy fuel to use them.
- Refillable and pre-filled when you need it
- Produced in the USA
- come in vibrant colors.
- erratic for a rapid light.
Elite Brands USA Plasma Arc Lighter
We’ll leave you with this practical and straightforward electric arc lighter. This one has an arc based on technology rather than neck structure.
Due to its compact size and lack of an open flame, it is both safe and useful to use in confined settings.
Utilizing a USB charger, you can recharge this lighter. There are many different color choices available.
This practical lighter is windproof and portable, so you can carry it with you wherever you go.
- Simple to use flameless lighter
- basic, long lighter
- USB-rechargeable battery
- There is hardly much battery life.
How To Choose The Best Bbq Lighter?
When choosing the best BBQ lighter, consider the following factors:
- Safety: Look for a lighter with a long handle to keep your hands away from the heat.
- Fuel type: There are two main types of fuel for BBQ lighters – butane and propane. Choose the one that works best for you and is readily available.
- Size: Consider the size of your grill and the space you have for storing the lighter.
- Flame control: Some lighters come with adjustable flames, which can be useful for controlling the heat.
- Ease of use: A lighter with a large trigger and easy-to-use ignite button is ideal.
- Durability: Look for a lighter made of high-quality materials that will last for several barbecuing seasons.
- Eco-friendliness: For those who are environmentally conscious, look for a lighter that uses sustainable fuel sources.
- Extra features: Some lighters come with added features such as a built-in thermometer or wind guard, which can be useful for outdoor cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I refill a butane lighter?
Refilling a butane lighter is simple. Many lighters come with a convenient refill valve that makes the process straightforward. To refill, simply turn the lighter upside down, take out the valve, fill it with butane, and securely reattach the valve.
Can I light my gas grill with a lighter?
Yes, it is possible to ignite a gas grill using a lighter. Most lighters are suitable for grilling purposes.
Do electric lighters work on grills?
Yes, an electric lighter or plasma lighter that is fully charged can be used to start a grill stove. As these types of lighters are wind-resistant, they are ideal for outdoor use.
How many volts is a BBQ lighter?
The battery voltage of an electric lighter can vary depending on the type of battery and brand of the lighter. For instance, an electric rechargeable lighter might have a battery voltage of around 3.7V lithium on average.
Why is my lighter not working after refilling?
Here are some potential causes for a butane lighter not working properly:
- The butane used was not of high quality or was not refined
- There is trapped air in the lighter
- The lighter was not bled properly prior to refilling
- The lighter or butane is still cold after refilling
Are barbecue lighters refillable?
Most butane-powered lighters are refillable, while plasma lighters are not as they run on electricity instead of fuel. Electric lighters can typically be recharged using a USB cord.
A BBQ lighter makes lighting a fire for barbecuing more convenient and saves time. When choosing a BBQ lighter, be sure to select one that has a design that protects your hand. Rechargeable electric lighters can also be a safer option compared to flame and butane lighters. The best BBQ lighters are also waterproof and splash-proof, making them a great choice for camping and outdoor events. Investing in a portable, travel-friendly BBQ lighter will be useful for both home and outdoor use.
A reliable BBQ lighter is a must-have tool for any outdoor grilling enthusiast. With so many options available, it’s important to consider your specific needs and preferences before making a purchase. Whether you prefer a long-handled lighter for safety, an eco-friendly option or one with a built-in thermometer, there is a BBQ lighter out there for everyone. Take your grilling experience to the next level with a high-quality, reliable lighter that will make starting your fire a breeze.