Salsa is a staple in Latin American cuisine and is commonly made with tomato, chili, cilantro, onion, salt, and lime or lemon juice, among other ingredients. While making your own salsa from time to time might be wonderful and even enjoyable, sometimes the ease of buying the best salsa from the store is all you want.
The only catch is that there are literally hundreds of salsas to choose from, making it difficult to find the right one. We’ve simplified your search for the best salsa by compiling the ingredients and user reviews of the most popular brands. Here are the 10 best salsas you can buy at the store, along with some tips for picking the proper one for your next Latin American dish.
If you often host taco night, then Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa is a must-have condiment. It has a rich, spicy flavor with pieces of vegetables throughout and sells in packs of four.
Pace Medium Chunky Salsa is again another excellent choice; the 64-ounce bottle will last a very long time. Try it with chicken, eggs, or any other food for a novel flavor you won’t soon forget.
10 Best Store-Bought Salsas
Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa, 15.5 Ounce (Pack of 4)
- Product of a company widely recognized for producing delicious condiments
- A more subtle variation on the standard medium flavor that works with virtually any diet.
- Its flavor is perfect for cooking because it combines acidity and spice so well.
- Available in a variety of heat levels and preparations
It’s a great deal to acquire four 15.5-ounce jars of Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa. This amount of salsa is sufficient even for a large family who eats almost exclusively Latin American food. The superb texture and moderate quantity of spice make it a crowd-pleaser at parties with many guests of various tastes.
Those searching for a variant that is little less bold than the norm may appreciate this product. However, it tends to be runnier than other kinds, so it may not work well in many recipes. Spice up your favorite dishes for a reasonable price with this product.
Pace Medium Chunky Salsa
- Soy-free and gluten-free
- This seasoning blend is perfect for a wide variety of meals, including chili, chicken, enchiladas, and more.
- Packaged in a sizable bottle, so you won’t have to worry about running out.
- Each of the 57 servings in a jar has only 10 calories.
Those who like their salsas on the medium to hot side will find a lot to like in this Pace Medium Chunky Salsa. It’s a fantastic ready-to-eat salsa that goes well with many different dishes and is perfect for parties. People who enjoy smooth salsa may find this an exception because, while it is a chunky style salsa, the bits aren’t extremely enormous.
Onions, tomatoes, and jalapeo peppers all contribute to the robust taste of this salsa. It’s packaged in an easy-to-pour plastic jar, so guests at taco night can help themselves to as much as they need.
Desert Pepper Trading Company Salsa Divino
- Offers a mellow flavor for people who can’t stand the spice of traditional Mexican dishes.
- Authentic flavor and freshness are locked in by roasting in small amounts.
- Produced in El Paso, Texas for an authentic taste of the USA.
- At the state line between Texas and New Mexico, from a family business that has been around for generations
Salsa Divino from Desert Pepper Trading Company is a great option if you’re looking for a mild salsa that doesn’t skimp on flavor. It’s a light and tasty condiment created of mild green chiles, tomatoes, lime juice, onion, garlic, vinegar, and cilantro. Pairs well with a variety of Mexican dishes, including grilled fish tacos, shrimp nachos, and fajitas.
The salsa is vegan, gluten-free, and all-natural, and so are all of its ingredients. People who try it and love it have the option of purchasing a six-pack rather than a single jar. You can also get salsa in single-serve jars if you don’t use a lot of it every week.
Frontera Gourmet Mexican Jalapeno Cilantro Salsa
- Produced in limited quantities with the finest materials
- Great for sprinkling atop nachos, tacos, and burritos for a quick Mexican meal.
- Offers a respectable amount of heat for a salsa of medium intensity, making it suitable for feeding a large group.
- Salsa made entirely from natural ingredients, without any added gluten or preservatives.
Frontera Gourmet Mexican Jalapeno Cilantro Salsa, a 16-ounce dip, has a little more heat than the other salsas we’ve looked at so far. Numerous people enjoy this salsa because of the balance between the spiciness of the jalapenos and the sweetness of the tomatoes.
This salsa is excellent on basic tortilla chips for its robust, real flavor, or with any number of other foods. Those who give it a try typically adopt it as their go-to salsa whenever they prepare Mexican food, making it one of the greatest versatile salsas on our list. One of the many reasons you should give this salsa a shot is its distinctive flavor.
Taco Bell Verde Salsa Sauce
- Packaged with two additional bottles so that you never have to worry about running out
- The perfect complement to tortilla chips, enchiladas, tacos, and burritos.
- Contains no tomatoes or soy protein isolate.
- A pourable or dipping consistency, smooth as silk.
Taco Bell’s Verde Salsa Sauce has a mild sweetness and a moderate amount of heat. Tomatillos, not tomatoes, are the major component in this salsa, giving it a beautiful green hue. Every bottle of salsa has 7.5 ounces of liquid and a medium heat level, making it a wonderful choice for gatherings of all kinds.
While many people know and love Taco Bell’s chips and tacos, they might not be aware that the chain also sells a range of sauces like this one to spice up its chicken and other items. This salsa would be perfect if it had a little more heat, but as it stands, it’s more of a mild to medium condiment.
365 Everyday Value Organic Roasted Verde Salsa
- To ensure that everyone has access to this delicious condiment, it is available in both organic and vegan varieties.
- The United States is responsible for producing fat-free salsa, which is then exported around the world.
- Salsa is perfect for those on a ketogenic diet because it is minimal in carbs (only 1 gram per serving), contains few calories, and tastes great.
- Green salsa, 16 ounces, for smothering enchiladas, nachos, tacos, and whatever else your heart desires.
For those who care about the quality of the ingredients in their food, 365 Everyday Value Organic Roasted Verde Salsa is a great option for seasoning your favorite Latin American cuisine with a salsa that doesn’t compromise on health. Whether it’s served as a dip for tortilla chips or a topping for a taco salad, this salsa is sure to please. However, individuals who like a spicier flavor may find it a tad too sweet.
Green Mountain Gringo Medium Salsa
- Originating from the same factories as the wildly successful Texas Pete
- The salsa we recommend is 100% natural, certified kosher, low in fat, and made without any artificial flavors or preservatives.
- The two-pack ensures that you’ll have enough salsa to last several weeks or months.
- Salsa is kept fresh and flavorful without any added preservatives.
Affordable and accessible, Green Mountain Gringo Medium Salsa is available in 16-ounce jars. Not like other brands, this one doesn’t resort to utilizing excessive amounts of sugar to get its distinctive flavor. Almost everyone will appreciate this vegetarian salsa, although it hasn’t been tested by vegans.
Tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, apple cider vinegar, and fresh jalapeo pepper are just few of the components that give this salsa its distinct flavor. Every ingredient, from the herbs and spices to the veggies, is carefully selected to guarantee the best flavor in every batch of tacos and enchiladas. However, it may be disappointing to some that it does not have a high temperature.
La Victoria Suprema Medium Salsa
- Adds a burst of flavor to any dish with fresh veggies like ripe tomatoes.
- Not only is it great for individuals who have an onion allergy, but it’s also great for those who just don’t like onions.
- The versatile combination works great for a wide variety of uses, from dipping chips to seasoning tacos and burritos.
- Provides a gluten-free, kosher option that is safe for most diners to enjoy.
Tomatoes, bell peppers, and an abundance of chili peppers give La Victoria Suprema Medium Salsa its signature, authentic Mexican flavor. Despite utilizing only a few basic ingredients to put the salsa together, the brand is well-known and a staple in kitchens around the world. The 24 ounce capacity of this jar ensures that you will have plenty of time to prepare numerous family meals before running out.
Furthermore, this blend’s tomatoes have come from the same California farms since the 1910s, guaranteeing consistent quality and flavor. The salsa is based on a traditional Mexican recipe and is a tasty option for individuals who want their food spicy but don’t want to taste any onion.
FRONTERA Gourmet Mexican Roasted Habanero Salsa
- Includes only one net gram of carbohydrates per serving, making it ideal for those on a ketogenic diet.
- Produced in extremely limited quantities with only the finest materials.
- Provides a very intense spicy kick for those who enjoy it.
- Zero calories, comes in a 16-ounce bottle, and has roughly 15 servings.
There are several benefits to using this Frontera Gourmet Hot Mexican Roasted Habanero Salsa. This salsa is roasted, giving it a distinct flavor that pairs well with hot peppers for those who want a lot of heat with their Mexican food. Distinct from other salsas on the market, this one blends habaneros with garlic, cilantro, and fire-roasted tomatoes for a tasty and unusual flavor.
It’s great as a marinade for Mexican-style grilled chicken or veggies, and it works just as well in more traditional Mexican meals. Like many other Frontera dishes, this one has a Mexican heritage that comes through in the flavor. This is the perfect meal if you order Mexican food and want something spicy.
Herdez Roasted Medium Salsa Verde
- Reputedly the best salsa out there if you’re looking for the real deal in Mexican cuisine.
- If you’re on a ketogenic diet, you’ll appreciate that each serving of the low-fat version just has 10 calories and 1 gram of sugar.
- With no tomatoes in sight, salsa verde is a tangier and less sugary alternative to traditional sauces.
- Gives off a moderate amount of intensity, making it a safe bet for a crowd containing people with varying tastes.
The last of our salsas is a tasty salsa verde. If you’re looking for a green salsa with the roasted flavor typically associated with red salsas, go no farther than Herdez Roasted Medium Salsa Verde. The salsa is tangier than it is sweet or spicy because tomatillos, not tomatoes, make up the bulk of the salsa’s ingredients.
The pleasing harmony of tastes, moderate heat, and deliciousness make this salsa a favorite in Mexico and the southwestern United States. Napkins are a good idea before you dig in because it will be thinner than other salsas.
Key Considerations When Buying the Best Store-Bought Salsa
Here, you’ll get a breakdown of the salsa purchase process to help you zero in on the best selection for you. First, let’s speak about the heat levels so you don’t accidentally make mouth-burning salsa (or so mild that it adds nothing to your dish).
Choosing the Ideal Salsa Heat Level
The degree of heat in salsa is an essential factor to think about when selecting a brand to purchase. Salsa, fortunately, may be found in one of three different heat levels: mild, medium, or hot.
Mild Salsa is Perfect for Beginners
The people who have grown up with salsa may not enjoy mild salsa. Some newcomers may discover that this is the best option because they begin to feel comfortable with the mere sight of a chili pepper. A mild salsa will have less peppers and chilies than the other varieties.
If you want to spice up your nachos or tacos, but don’t want to burn your mouth off, this is the salsa for you. To create a mild salsa, most of the ingredients should have low levels of heat.
Medium for People Who Want Reasonable Heat
If you’re shopping for a large gathering and don’t know what kind of salsa to choose, a medium is usually a safe bet. You shouldn’t expect it to be as spicy as a hot salsa or as sweet as a mild salsa. When it comes to food pairings, a medium salsa strikes the ideal balance between sweetness and heat, making it a wonderful choice for everything from spaghetti to tortillas.
Hot for Everyone Who Loves to Feel the Burn
Here we have the most hottest of the hot, perfect for those who have always loved spicy cuisine and who add a mountain of salsa to everything they eat. If you like things spicy, try some hot salsa with your next meal. These are often categorized as “hot” and feature a wide range of peppers in their recipe, such as chilies, habaneros, jalapenos, and others.
Selecting the Right Ingredients and Texture for Store-Bought Salsa
When picking up salsa, texture is another factor to think about. Some people prefer it chunky, with pieces of tomato and onion in every bite, while others prefer it smooth. Consider the ingredients, as food sensitivities, dietary restrictions, and personal preference can all impact your choice of salsa.
The Fight Between Smooth or Chunky
Salsas are commonly classified as either chunky or smooth, depending on their texture and consistency. It’s up to you; whatever you like will do. The next best thing to consider is how you plan to eat the salsa. For instance, chunky salsa is more suited for chips, whereas smooth salsa is useful as an accompaniment to a dish.
Take a Look at the Freshness of the Salsa
It’s best to avoid products that use a lot of artificial additives and preservatives if you’re concerned about the nutritional value of the salsa you buy. Salsa is a great addition to many dishes, but keep in mind that fresh salsa has a shorter shelf life than canned salsa, so you’ll need to buy it more frequently to keep your recipes tasting great. When left in the fridge for too long, it might develop an acidic flavor.
Consider Trying New Options for a Unique Experience
There are many alternatives to tomato-based salsas if you’re bored with them after using them for days on end. Salsa verde, on the other hand, does not include tomatoes, but guacamole salsa does include avocados in addition to other ingredients like pineapple and corn. There’s bound to be a salsa on the market that becomes a staple in your kitchen, no matter your personal preferences.
Common Types of Store-Bought Salsa to Choose From
Knowing the variations amongst salsas will help you zero in on exactly what you’re looking for at the store. You’ll find a list of some of the most popular variants and some discussion of what sets them apart below.
Peppers, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice are the base components for pico de gallo, also known as salsa cruda or uncooked salsa. Bell peppers, jalapenos, and serrano chiles can be found in many varieties for those who like a spicier flavor. Since it is not watery, this salsa works great on tacos and nachos and may also be used as a salad topping.
Salsa roja, usually known simply as “red salsa,” is the most common type of salsa in the United States. Its brilliant red color comes from the red tomatoes used in its preparation, and it is commonly used as a condiment on meat, burritos, and other foods.
Sweet corn, jalapeos, onions, lime, cilantro, and chili powder are the main ingredients in this salsa that stands in for the traditional tomato-based version. The inclusion of cotija cheese makes these perfect for a family supper or snack.
Green salsa, often called salsa verde, is traditionally prepared with tomatillos rather than tomatoes. Argentine chimichurri, a green sauce, is also classified as a salsa verde. This version of salsa, however, gets its signature green color from a combination of parsley and cilantro.
The salsa ranchero may be the greatest choice for those who enjoy roasted dishes. Salsa has the familiar tomato flavor, but with a smokey undertone from burned tomatoes. Worcestershire sauce is included as well, complementing the smokiness of the tomatoes.
Everyone has their own preferences for the best store-bought salsa based on factors like flavor, aesthetics, and texture. However, the ten salsas listed above will surely spice up any dish you prepare. Choose the one that most suits your tastes, and as soon as it arrives at your door, dig into your next burrito, taco, or plate of nachos.